> Courses Overview
The Department of Psychology at IOU in collaboration with Tranquil Life has launched the following programs that can be pursued at the Diploma and Applied Diploma levels:
- Diploma in Professional Child Psychology
- Applied Diploma in Professional Clinical Psychology
- Applied Diploma in Continued Professional Development for Speech and Language
The Diploma in Clinical Psychology endeavors to raise the standard of training for Clinical Psychologists to international levels by enhancing its standing as an independent professional discipline. Consequently, it aims to meet the growing needs and changing demands of the community at large.
The philosophy behind the diploma supports the Clinical Psychologist as a scientist and reflective practitioner, who explores each perspective and uses the most pertinent approach in a creative way to understand and solve human problems. The theoretical approach taught through this diploma is consistent with the goal that clients will be given the tools to achieve an integrated tranquil life, and is not biased towards any particular orientation.
The trainees are viewed as adult learners who will be encouraged to set their own learning outcomes and follow the specialized skills which will be taught.
Objectives of the Program
The main objective of the program is to train Clinical Psychologists in skills which will enable them to:
- Help acquire scientific knowledge and professional expertise in dealing with a full range of psychological problems and psychiatric disorders commonly found in children, adults, special groups as well as those normally living in the community.
- Engage, manage and help individual and group cases and provide appropriate clinical assessments and relevant therapy.
- Develop and maintain a professional attitude towards colleagues, students, and staff by promoting dignity, loyalty, commitment and through subscribing to a professional code of ethics.
- Raise the standard of training to international levels.