International Open University
News & Events
The Islamic Online University (IOU) made great strides and even greater accomplishments in the year 2016. It was a year full of a variety of undertakings, achievements and successes on the part of our students as well as the IOU staff. Reiterating the IOU’s commitment to change nations through education, we beseech our Lord and Cherisher to bless all of our efforts this past year and help us continue to illuminate even the darkest corners of the globe with knowledge. We also ask Allah Almighty to forgive our deficiencies and help us to overcome future obstacles for the sake of our mission to offer a higher education to anyone in need of it.
The past year could not have been a success if it were not for the prayers, support and donations from IOU supporters. It is with the humblest of hearts that we continue on the journey of knowledge and are grateful for all of you who are standing by our side.
As we take a look back at all of the achievements and progress the IOU made in 2016, we pledge to give 2017 our full focus so that we can ascend to even greater heights in the coming year in sha’ Allah.
1) New Programs, Courses and Webinars
In 2016, Department of Business Administration and Department of Information Technology launched the 4-years bachelor degree programs (BBA and BSc IT) in Spring 2016 semester.
Moreover, this past year the Islamic Online University offered even more courses in the diploma section, which included The Seven Gems Course, Al Muminaat, and Trial – An Islamic Approach to Trials and Tribulations among others.
Islamic Online University also launched a wide assortment of webinars that brought beneficial knowledge to a global audience. The webinars were received warmly by a global audience.
2) Offline Courses
The launching of an “Offline” B. Ed. on February 28th, 2016 further helps IOU to educate nations.
3) IOU Conferences
Islamic Online University, once again, heralded in this year’s Solace 2016 from October 29th-31st. It is a conference on psychological well-being. This was in addition to the “Ramadan Retreat - The IOU Ramadan Conference” that was held from May 20th thru June 16, 2016.
4) Paper Presentation and Participation in International Conferences
The Islamic Online University participated/presented papers in the following conferences:
- Br. Ishmael Ntenje, Registrar of IOU Malawi Campus, attended the Malawi Education Conference 2016 from 25-27 July 2016 where he represented IOU.
- Br. Mukhtar Raban, Director of Teaching and Learning, represented IOU at the 8th International Conference and Workshops on Quality Assurance in Higher Education in Africa held on 19-23 September 2016.
- Dr. Muhammad Ahsan, Dean, Faculty of Advanced Studies and Research, delivered a keynote speech at the International Conference on Research in Education (ICORE 2016) conducted by the University of Punjab, Lahore, Pakistan (November 23-25th, 2016). The topic was: ‘Role of E-Learning in the Development of the Muslim World - A Case Study of the Islamic Online University.’
- Sr. Madeeha Bokhari, Associate Registrar, represented IOU at the Pan-Commonwealth Forum PCF8 held on 27-30 November 2016 in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Br. Hunain Aijaz, Chief of Academic Services, presented a paper at the International Conference on Distance Education and E-Learning (ICDEEL-2016) held on 19-20 December 2016 organized by International Islamic University Islamabad, Pakistan; Topic of the paper presented was, “Tutor Training: The Unaddressed Challenge in E-Learning.”
5) MOU & Membership
The IOU signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the Islamic University in Uganda on May 1st, 2016 and welcomed the membership of the Asian Association of Open Universities (AAOU) on January 1st, 2016.
6) Statistics at a Glance
In the Spring and Fall semesters for 2016, the IOU welcomed 3274 new students from 124 countries.
Students engaged in an estimated 21, 267 hours of community service all over the world in 2016 to benefit their communities.
The IOU conducted over 55,000 chats and answered over 59,000 emails.
Since 2011, the IOU has conducted over 60,000 online classes with 10,167 being conducted in 2016 alone.
We are honored to have 148 graduates from 39 different countries in 2016, from 7 degree, diploma and certificate programs:
- BA in Islamic Studies
- Bridge Diploma to MAIS
- Associate Degree in Psychology
- Certificate in Psychology
- Certificate in Education
- Advance Diploma in Islamic Studies (under Open Education Program)
- Intensive Arabic Program (under Open Education Program)
This is the first time we have students graduating from Certificate in Education, Associate Degree in Psychology, Intensive Arabic Program, and Advance Diploma in Islamic Studies, alhamdu lillah.
7) IOU Events
~ The official opening ceremony of the Kanifing Campus (The Gambia) was held on February 28th, 2016.
~ On March 6th, the Graduation Day ceremony for the Intensive English Course (IEC) was held at Maansoor Hotel in Hargeisa, Somaliland and led by our Chancellor Dr. Bilal Philips.