Flexible and Customized Study Plans
Islamic Online University offers an organized and structured intensive Higher Diploma (Bridge to MAIS) flexible study plan. We give the utmost importance to provide the best study guide possible to meet our students’ needs and circumstances. The purpose of IOU is not only to see its students graduate with our customized Islamic studies, but also to see them pass on the knowledge gained at IOU to others and implement that knowledge throughout their lives.
To achieve this goal, we have designed flexible and customized Islamic studies for our students to choose from, which are interchangeable each semester. A student who chooses one plan for one semester is allowed to choose another plan the following semester. The only mandatory requirement is that the student completes the entire program within a maximum period of four years (8 semesters).
SEMESTER PLAN 1: Regular/Normal Semester Study:
The first IOU Higher Diploma (Bridge to MAIS) semester has six courses and the second and third semesters have 5 courses. Each semester lasts for approximately five months. For each module, there is one recorded lecture by the instructor. There are also recorded supplementary sessions conducted by the tutorial assistants for each of the modules. Students following this semester plan are expected to devote a minimum of four hours per week, per to listen to the lectures, read the assigned texts for the session, take the session (module) quiz, and prepare class assignments (if any). This requires eighteen to twenty-four hours,per week, of studying.
1. The plan above is beneficial for students who want to complete the Higher Diploma (Bridge to MAIS) in 1.5 years and start their M.A. in Islamic Studies as well as those who wish to gain knowledge in an organized and structured manner.
2. This is an ideal study plan for students under normal circumstances
SEMESTER PLAN 2: Part Time Study:
Part-time students are allowed to take as few as one course per semester. However, they will have to complete the entire program in a maximum of four and a half years (nine semesters). We, therefore, recommend that students take half of the full load (i.e. three courses) and devote nine to twelve hours per week studying. If, due to personal circumstances, a student is unable to take three courses and instead takes only one or two courses per semester, then he/she will have to take more courses in subsequent semesters so that the entire program can be completed within four years.
1. This plan is recommended for busy students (e.g., working, studying, married). We advise students to go at a slower pace if they have time restrictions which prevent them from concentrating on a larger number of courses.
2. Although the students have an option to pause their studies after a semester or two, we do not recommend they do so. If a student is busy and is unable to devote time for a regular study load, then we recommend that he/she choose the part time semester plan.
SEMESTER PLAN 3: Accelerated Study Plan
Students following this semester plan must take eight courses per semester. Students who are capable of devoting more time towards their studies and who wish to complete the Higher Diploma (Bridge to MAIS) in one year are allowed to take a maximum of eight courses. Students taking eight courses per semester will be able to complete the degree in one year. Such students will have to devote 24 to 32 hours per week to their studies.
1. We do not recommend this plan for all students.
2. Only students who are sure they are capable are advised to choose this plan.
3. Students taking eight courses will have to pay the applicable fees for the semester, which are equivalent to fees for one semester plus 50%, depending on their country of residence. The fees are non-refundable and non-transferable. If the student, for example, pays for eight courses and later decides to take only five, then the extra fees will not be transferred to the following semester.